A downloadable PDF version of this of this document is available here
PRE-PROCEDURE INSTRUCTIONS FOR: EGD
Your doctor has requested that you have an EGD, which is a study to view the esophagus, stomach and some of the small intestine.
- STOP all NSAIDS, such as Aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Aleve, Naproxen, etc. 5 DAYS before your appointment. DO NOT TAKE blood thinning products such as Coumadin and Plavix for 5 days before your procedure. Do not take vitamin E if you take it routinely. Please check with your primary physician before stopping any medication.
- NO SOLID FOOD AFTER MIDNIGHT the night before the exam.
- You may have clear liquids (no milk products) up until FOUR HOURS BEFORE YOUR After that, nothing by mouth.
Clear Liquids Include: (If you can see through it, it is a clear liquid)
- Chicken Broth
- Soft Drinks (Sprite, Coke, Pepsi, Orange Soda, Ginger Ale)
- Strained Fruit Juices (without pulp): Apple, White Grape, Orange, or White Cranberry
- Limeade or Lemonade
- Kool-Aid (NO RED, PURPLE OR PINK)
- Coffee or Tea (DO NOT use any dairy or non-dairy creamer)
- Gelatin desserts without added fruit or topping (NO RED, PURPLE, OR PINK)
- Clear Hard Candies (example: Jolly Ranchers)
- Popsicles (No sherbet or fruit bars with pulp)
- DO NOT TAKE your diabetes medication the morning of the exam. You may bring your medication with you to your exam in case you need to take them soon after your exam.
- PLEASE TAKE all of your regular medications, such as heart, blood pressure, anti-seizure and asthma up until the day before your exam.
- Because of the medication given to you for the procedure, you WILL NOT be permitted to drive 12 hours afterward. You must have ONE responsible adult accompany you the day of your procedure. NO BUSES OR TAXIS ALONE
NOTE: YOU MUST NOT CONSUME ANYMORE LIQUIDS WITHIN FOUR (4) HOURS OF YOUR PROCEDURE. NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK UNTIL AFTER YOUR PROCEDURE.
Please bring with you a list of all current medications, your insurance card, and a photo ID. If you are paying cash, please make arrangements. If you have any questions feel free to call the office at (909) 796-7803.