A downloadable version of this form can be found here
GO-LYTELY- INSTRUCTIONS FOR COLONOSCOPY
5 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR EXAM:
Have your prescription for Go-LYTELY filled at your pharmacy.
Please disregard the instructions on the bowel prep and follow the instructions on this page.
- You will need to STOP blood thinners 5 (five) days before colonoscopy. Please check with your primary doctor before stopping your Coumadin, Plavix, or Clopidogrel.
- If you are diabetic, DO NOT TAKE your diabetes medication the morning of your exam, however please bring it with you as you need to take it after the procedure. Please check blood sugar frequently while on clear liquid diet. Check your blood sugar prior to coming for the procedure.
- If you are on blood pressure or heart medication, you may take that the morning of your procedure with as little water as possible.
- PLEASE TAKE ALL of your other regular medications (except those listed above) the day before the procedure.
3 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR EXAM: suggestions to patients with poor digestive system: Begin avoiding nuts, seeds, whole wheat bread, beans, corn, raw vegetables, or fruits with seeds or skin as they may adversely influence the quality of your exam. Discontinue these foods until after your procedure.
1 DAY PRIOR TO YOUR EXAM:
NOTHING SOLID TO EAT STARTING FROM THE MOMENT YOU WAKE UP THE DAY BEFORE THE PROCEDURE. Clear fluids for BREAKFAST, LUNCH, AND DINNER. DO NOT have any solid foods, milk, or milk products. NOTHING PURPLE OR RED. No fruits, vegetables, or frozen concentrated liquids. No Alcoholic Beverages.
Clear Liquids Include: (If you can see through it, it is a clear liquid)
- Chicken Broth
- Soft Drinks (Sprite, Coke, Pepsi, Orange Soda, Ginger Ale)
- Strained Fruit Juices (without pulp): Apple, White Grape, or White Cranberry
- Limeade or Lemonade (without pulp)
- Kool-Aid (NO RED OR PURPLE)
- Gatorade (NO RED OR PURPLE)
- Coffee or Tea (DO NOT use any dairy or non-dairy creamer)
- Gelatin desserts without added fruit or topping (NO RED OR PURPLE)
Please keep in mind if you change or reschedule your appointment, time of preparations will change depending on new check in time.
Evening before your Procedure (1 st Dose)
(1st Dose day before procedure at 6:00 p.m.)
1) Mix the Go-Lytely solution according to the directions on the container (you may mix it a couple of hours ahead of time and chill it in the refrigerator.
2) Start drinking the solution by taking 1 (8 oz.) glass every 10 minutes until ONE HALF (½) of the solution is gone
3) Store the remaining solution in the refrigerator. Continue drinking clear liquids.
Morning of your Procedure (2nd Dose)
(2nd Dose morning of procedure 6 hours before check in time)
1) Drink the other half of the solution, 1 (8 oz.) glass every 10 minutes until it is completely gone
YOU MUST NOT CONSUME ANYMORE LIQUIDS WITHIN 4 HOURS OF YOUR SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT CHEW GUM, SMOKE, OR HAVE ANY CANDY OF ANY SORT (INCLUDING MINTS). NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK UNTIL AFTER YOUR PROCEDURE.
Due to the medication given to you for the procedure, you WILL NOT be permitted to drive 12 hours afterward. You must have ONE responsible adult accompany you the day of your procedure. Your driver must CHECK IN with you at the front desk and STAY with you until discharged. NO FOR-HIRE DRIVER (bus, taxi, Uber, Lyft, etc.) UNLESS YOU ARE ACCOMPANIED BY A RESPONSIBLE ADULT.
Please bring with you a list of all current medications, your insurance card, and a photo ID. If you are paying cash, please make arrangements. If you have any questions, feel free to call the office at (909) 796-7803.