A downloadable version of this form can be found here
GO-LYTELY- INSTRUCTIONS FOR COLONOSCOPY
5 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR EXAM:
Have your prescription for Go-LYTELY filled at your pharmacy.
- You will need to STOP blood thinners 5 (five) days before colonoscopy. Please check with your primary doctor before stopping your Coumadin, Plavix, or Clopidogrel.
- If you are diabetic, DO NOT TAKE your diabetes medication the morning of your exam, however please bring it with you as you need to take it after the procedure.
- If you are on blood pressure or heart medication, you may take that the morning of your procedure with as little water as possible
- PLEASE TAKE ALL of your other regular medications (except those listed above) the day before the procedure.
3 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR EXAM:
Begin avoiding nuts, seeds, whole wheat bread, beans, corn, raw vegetables, or fruits with seeds or skin as they may adversely influence the quality of your exam. Discontinue these foods until after your procedure.
1 DAY PRIOR TO YOUR EXAM:
Clear fluids ONLY for BREAKFAST, LUNCH, AND DINNER. Continue fasting until after your procedure. DO NOT have any solid foods, milk, or milk products. Nothing colored RED, PURPLE. No fruits, vegetables, cookies, crackers, or frozen concentrated liquids. No Alcoholic Beverages.
Clear Liquids Include: (If you can see through it, it is a clear liquid)
- Chicken Broth
- Soft Drinks (Sprite, Coke, Pepsi, Orange Soda, Ginger Ale)
- Strained Fruit Juices (without pulp): Apple, White Grape, Orange, or White Cranberry
- Limeade or Lemonade
- Kool-Aid (NO RED, PURPLE OR PINK)
- Coffee or Tea (DO NOT use any dairy or non-dairy creamer)
- Gelatin desserts without added fruit or topping (NO RED, PURPLE, OR PINK)
- Clear Hard Candies (example: Jolly Ranchers)
- Popsicles (No sherbet or fruit bars with pulp)
Evening before your Procedure – Begin at 6:00 pm (1st Dose):
Step 1: Mix the Go-Lytely solution according to the directions on the container (you may mix it a coupe of hours ahead of time and chill it in the refrigerator.
Step 2: Start drinking the solution by taking 1 (8 oz.) glass every 10 minutes until ONE HALF (½) of the solution is gone
Step 3: Store the remaining solution in the refrigerator. Continue drinking clear liquids.
Morning of your Procedure (2nd Dose) – Begin 6 hours before procedure:
Step 1: Drink the other half of the solution, 1 (8 oz.) glass every 10 minutes until it is completely gone.
Step 2: Because of the medication given to you for the procedure, you WILL NOT be permitted to drive 12 hours afterward. You must have ONE responsible adult accompany you the day of your procedure. NO BUSES OR TAXIS ALONE
NOTE: YOU MUST NOT CONSUME ANYMORE LIQUIDS WITHIN 4 HOURS OF YOUR SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK UNTIL AFTER YOUR PROCEDURE.
Please bring with you a list of all current medications, your insurance card, and a photo ID. If you are paying cash, please make arrangements. If you have any questions feel free to call the office at (909) 796-7803.