A downloadable PDF version of this of this document is available here
MAGNESIUM CITRATE INSTRUCTIONS FOR COLONOSCOPY
PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS IMMEDIATELY! FAILURE TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN CANCELLATION OF YOUR PROCEDURE
5 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR EXAM:
You will need to pick up from your local pharmacy, drug store (Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Rite-aid, grocery store, etc.):
• Two 10 oz. Bottles of Magnesium Citrate (comes in flavors, make sure you get the clear color type)
• Dulcolax Laxative tablets 5 mg (or generic version), you will only need two tablets
- You will need to STOP blood thinners 5 (five) days before colonoscopy. Please check with your primary doctor before stopping your Coumadin, Plavix, or Clopidogrel.
- If you are diabetic, DO NOT TAKE your diabetes medication the morning of your exam, however, please bring it with you as you need to take it after the procedure. Please check blood sugar frequently while on clear liquid diet. Check your blood sugar prior to coming for the procedure.
- If you are on blood pressure or heart medication, you may take that the morning of your procedure with as little water as possible
- PLEASE TAKE ALL of your other regular medications (except those listed above) the day before the procedure.
3 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR EXAM: suggestions to patients with poor digestive system:
Begin avoiding nuts, seeds, whole wheat bread, beans, corn, raw vegetables, or fruits with seeds or skin as they may adversely influence the quality of your exam. Discontinue these foods until after your procedure.
1 DAY PRIOR TO YOUR EXAM:
Clear fluids ONLY for BREAKFAST, LUNCH, AND DINNER. (NOTHING SOLID TO EAT STARTING FROM THE MOMENT YOU WAKE UP THE DAY BEFORE THE PROCEDURE) DO NOT have any solid foods, milk, or milk products. Nothing colored RED, PURPLE. No fruits, vegetables, or frozen concentrated liquids. No Alcoholic Beverages.
Clear Liquids Include: (If you can see through it, it is a clear liquid)
- Chicken Broth
- Soft Drinks (Sprite, Coke, Pepsi, Orange Soda, Ginger Ale)
- Strained Fruit Juices (without pulp): Apple, White Grape, Orange, or White Cranberry
- Limeade or Lemonade
- Kool-Aid (NO RED OR PURPLE)
- Gatorade (NO RED OR PURPLE)
- Coffee or Tea (DO NOT use any dairy or non-dairy creamer)
- Gelatin desserts without added fruit or topping (NO RED OR PURPLE)
1st Dose – BEGIN THE DAY BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE
Step 1: At 12:00 p.m. take 2 DULCOLAX (5 mg) tablets with a glass of water.
Step 2: At 6:00 p.m. drink one 10 oz bottle of MAGNESIUM CITRATE
Step 3: Continue drinking clear liquids.
2nd Dose – BEGIN AT _________
Step 1: Drink the second 10 oz bottle of MAGNESIUM CITRATE.
YOU MUST NOT CONSUME ANYMORE LIQUIDS WITHIN 4 HOURS OF YOUR SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT CHEW GUM, SMOKE, OR HAVE ANY CANDY OF ANY SORT (INCLUDING MINTS). NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK UNTIL AFTER YOUR PROCEDURE.
Due to the medication given to you for the procedure, you WILL NOT be permitted to drive 12 hours afterward. You must have ONE responsible adult accompany you the day of your procedure. Your driver must CHECK IN with you at the front desk and STAY with you until discharged. NO FOR-HIRE DRIVER (bus, taxi, Uber, Lyft, etc.) UNLESS YOU ARE ACCOMPANIED BY A RESPONSIBLE ADULT.
Please bring with you a list of all current medications, your insurance card, and a photo ID. If you are paying cash, please make arrangements. If you have any questions feel free to call the office at (909) 796-7803.