You can download a copy of the instructions below
Check in 1 HOUR before your appointment time. Please DO NOT arrive before 6:00 AM.
PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS IMMEDIATELY!
FAILURE TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN CANCELLATION OF YOUR PROCEDURE
PLENVU- INSTRUCTIONS FOR COLONOSCOPY
Check with your local pharmacy for status on your PLENVU prescription
Please disregard the instructions on the bowel prep and follow the instructions on this page instead
- You will need to STOP blood thinners 5 (five) days before colonoscopy. Please check with your primary doctor before stopping your Coumadin, Plavix, or Clopidogrel.
- If you are diabetic, DO NOT TAKE your diabetes medication the morning of your exam, however, please bring it with you as you need to take it after the procedure. Please check blood sugar frequently while on clear liquid diet. Check your blood sugar prior to coming for the procedure.
- If you are on blood pressure or heart medication, you may take that the morning of your procedure with as little water as possible.
- PLEASE TAKE ALL your other regular medications (except those listed above) the day before the procedure.
3 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR EXAM: suggestions to patients with poor digestive system
Begin avoiding nuts, seeds, whole wheat bread, beans, corn, raw vegetables, or fruits with seeds or skin as they may adversely influence the quality of your exam. Discontinue these foods until after your procedure.
1 DAY PRIOR TO YOUR EXAM:
NOTHING SOLID TO EAT STARTING FROM THE MOMENT YOU WAKE UP THE DAY BEFORE THE PROCEDURE. Clear fluidsfor BREAKFAST, LUNCH, AND DINNER. DO NOT have any solid foods, milk, or milk products. NOTHING PURPLE OR RED. No fruits, vegetables, or frozen concentrated liquids. No Alcoholic Beverages.
Clear Liquids Include: (If you can see through it, it is a clear liquid)
- Chicken Broth
- Soft Drinks (Sprite, Coke, Pepsi, Orange Soda, Ginger Ale)
- Strained Fruit Juices (without pulp): Apple, White Grape, or White Cranberry
- Limeade or Lemonade (without pulp)
- Kool-Aid (NO RED OR PURPLE)
- Gatorade (NO RED OR PURPLE)
- Coffee or Tea (DO NOT use any dairy or non-dairy creamer)
- Gelatin desserts without added fruit or topping (NO RED OR PURPLE)
Please keep in mind if you change or reschedule your appointment, time of preparations will change depending on new check in time.
Dose 1: at 6:00 P.M:
(1st Dose, day before procedure at 6:00 P.M)
- Empty Dose 1 into mixing container that comes with your Plenvu
- Add water to the fill line (16 ounces)
- Mix the water and PLENVU together with a spoon or put lid on mixing container securely and shake the water and PLENVU, until it is completely dissolved. This can take 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drink the entire content of the mixing container over the next 30 minutes. If you feel like you have severe stomach pain or discomfort you can stop taking PLENVU for a short time and then continue taking it or you can take smaller sips of PLENVU so that you space out your dose longer than 30 minutes.
- Rinse the mixing container with water. Refill to the line with a clear liquid of your choice. Drink the entire content of the mixing container over the next 30 minutes. Continue to drink additional clear liquids during the evening.
Dose 2 – at : A.M:
(2nd Dose, day of procedure 6 hours before checking in)
Repeat steps 1, 2, and 3 but this time for Dose 2 you will empty Dose 2 Pouch A and Dose 2 Pouch B into the mixing container at the same time. It is important that you drink additional clear liquids but must stop drinking all liquids 4 hours before your colonoscopy.
YOU MUST NOT CONSUME ANYMORE LIQUIDS WITHIN 4 HOURS OF YOUR SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT CHEW GUM, SMOKE, OR HAVE ANY CANDY OF ANY SORT (INCLUDING MINTS). NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK UNTIL AFTER YOUR PROCEDURE.
Due to the medication given to you for the procedure, you WILL NOT be permitted to drive 12 hours afterward. You must have ONE responsible adult accompany you the day of your procedure. Your driver must CHECK IN with you at the front desk. NO FOR-HIRE DRIVER (bus, taxi, Uber, Lyft, etc.)
UNLESS YOU ARE ACCOMPANIED WITH A RESPONSIBLE ADULT.
Please bring with you a list of all current medications, your insurance card, and a photo ID