A downloadable PDF version of this of this document is available here
PRE-PROCEDURE INSTRUCTIONS FOR: EGD
Your doctor has requested that you have an EGD, which is a study to view the esophagus, stomach and some of the small intestine.
- You will need to STOP blood thinners 5 (five) days before procedure. Please check with your primary doctor before stopping your Coumadin, Plavix, or Clopidogrel.
- If you are diabetic, DO NOT TAKE your diabetes medication the morning of your exam, however please bring it with you as you need to take it after the procedure. Please check blood sugar frequently while on clear liquid diet. Check your blood sugar prior to coming for the procedure.
- If you are on blood pressure or heart medication, you may take that the morning of your procedure with as little water as possible
- PLEASE TAKE ALL of your other regular medications (except those listed above) the day before the procedure.
NO SOLID FOOD AFTER MIDNIGHT the night before the exam.
Morning appointment: No liquids after midnight, it is important that you do not chew gum, smoke, or have any candy of any sort (including mints).
Afternoon appointment: Clear liquids are OK to drink (example of clear liquid are located below). You must stop ALL liquids including water 4 hours prior to your check in time. Do not chew gum, smoke, or have any candy of any sort (including mints). STOP ALL LIQUIDS 4 hours before your procedure.
Clear Liquids Include: (If you can see through it, it is a clear liquid)
- Chicken Broth
- Soft Drinks (Sprite, Coke, Pepsi, Orange Soda, Ginger Ale)
- Strained Fruit Juices (without pulp): Apple, White Grape, or White Cranberry
- Limeade or Lemonade
- Kool-Aid (NO RED, PURPLE OR PINK)
- Coffee or Tea (DO NOT use any dairy or non-dairy creamer)
- Gelatin desserts without added fruit or topping (NO RED, PURPLE, OR PINK)
Stop ALL liquids including water 4 hours prior to your check in time!!!
Due to the medication given to you for the procedure, you WILL NOT be permitted to drive 12 hours afterward. You must have ONE responsible adult accompany you the day of your procedure. Your driver must CHECK IN with you at the front desk and STAY with you until discharged. NO FOR-HIRE DRIVER (bus, taxi, Uber, Lyft, etc.) UNLESS YOU ARE ACCOMPANIED WITH A RESPONSIBLE ADULT.
Please bring with you a list of all current medications, your insurance card, and a photo ID. If you are paying cash, please make arrangements. If you have any questions feel free to call the office at (909) 7967803.